Presented by NEMA
April 27-28, 2019
Save the date for the Central Coast World Music Festival, presented by Club NEMA Bellydance, at the Oxnard Performing Arts Center on April 27-28, 2019. Live music, dancing, food, shopping, and more!
Contact us! email@example.com
Phone (805) 308-2197
Performers include the following (schedule TBA).
- Flor de Kanela – Sephardic ensemble from Santa Barbara
- Flowers of the Nile
- Irie Smile – Reggae
- Javier Gomez Inlakech Cultural Arts Center Mariachi Group – Oxnard
- Sepia Tone – local family trio
- Teresa Russell – Blues guitarist
Workshops listed below.
- Drumming Workshop with Donavon Lerman – Saturday, April 27, 9-10:30 AM
- Family Drum Circle with Donavon Lerman – Saturday, April 27, 10:30 AM-12 PM
- Saidi Workshop with Adrianne – Saturday, April 27, 1-4 PM
- Greek Belly Dance Workshop with Angela Buttrey – Saturday, April 27 4-6 PM
- Zumba Dance (free class) – Saturday, April 27, 4-4:45 PM
- Hula Hooping (free) – Saturday, April 27, 5-6 PM
- Malaya Leff Workshop with Alexandra King – Sunday, April 28, 9:30 AM-1 PM
- Lyrical Hip Hop Workshop by FT Plan, Sunday, April 28 1-2 PM
- Turkish-Style “Rompi Romi” Workshop with Nilay Engin – Sunday, April 28, 1-4 PM
- Zumba Dance (free class) – Sunday, April 28, 4-4:45 PM
- Hula Hooping (free) – Sunday, April 28, 5-6 PM
Location: Oxnard Performing Arts Center, 800 Hobson Way, Oxnard, CA 93030
Parking information and directions at the bottom of this page.
Sign up to Perform
A Call For Artists! Display Your Artwork at the Garden Artwalk!
Garden Artwalk at the CC World Music Fest
Apr 27 at 9 AM – Apr 28 at 7 PM PDT
Saturday April 27, 2019 (9-10:30 AM)
Learn tricks, licks, runs, riffs, rhythms, patterns, and soloing techniques. Receive valuable drum tips!
Saturday April 27, 2019 (10:30 AM-12 PM)
Biography: Raised in Kentucky and Southern California, Donavon Lerman was not born born into the culture of Arabic percussion, but he has nonetheless made it his avocation, approaching it with dedication, passion and a mission to spread its power to American audiences. Donavon is one of very few Americans in Southern California working in the Arabic style. He’s also something of an oddity in that most of his colleagues have been immersed in the music all of their lives, whereas he did not come by it until he was nearly 30. Still, his commitment has never wavered. He says the discipline of Arabic percussion keeps him focused in all areas of his life and that he frequently attains a meditative state in the playing. “Sometimes I have these glimmers,” he illuminates, “where I am completely inside the music. I know exactly where the next note will be and I play something instinctively that I couldn’t play before. That’s an incredible experience.”
Saturday April 27, 2019 (1-4 PM)
Learn this Fun and Energetic style of Egyptian Dance with Assaya (aka Stick!), Saturday from 1-4 PM with Adrianne.
Saturday April 27, 2019 (4-6 PM)
In this workshop we’ll learn basic Belly dance movements, involving vigorous hip work, sultry undulations, strong shimmies, limber upper body isolation, playful hands, and feeling the joy of the Greek music! All these put together in a fun choreography that can be performed as a solo or group.
Saturday April 27, 2019 (4-4:45 PM)
Sunday April 28, 2019 (4-4:45 PM)
- Saturday, April 27, 2019, 4-4:45 PM – Facebook Event
- Sunday, April 28, 2019, 4-4:45 PM – Facebook Event
Sunday April 28, 2019 (9:30 AM – 1 PM)
NEMA presents Alexandra King in a workshop on Malaya Leff. Learn a fun and flirtatious dance from Alexandria, Egypt.
- $40 in advance, $50 at the door, 20% discount for NEMA members
- Facebook Event
Sunday April 28, 2019 (1-2 PM)
Lyrical Hip Hop Workshop by FT Plan, Sunday, April 28 1-2 PM. Free to kids!
Sunday April 28, 2019 (1-4 PM)
Join us for a Turkish-style “Rompi Romi” with a floorwork twist, on Sunday, 1-4 PM, taught by Nilay Engin.
Directions and Parking
FROM VENTURA FREEWAY 101 SOUTH
Exit Oxnard Blvd. Follow the street to the right. Continue on Oxnard Blvd. for approximately 2 1/2 miles to 7th Street (traffic light) and turn right. Continue on 7th Street for approximately 3/4 of a mile and turn left onto Hobson Way. Convention Center is located on the left side on the corner of Hobson and 7th. The facility is between 7th and 9th Streets. Parking is Free.
FROM VENTURA FREEWAY 101 NORTH
Exit at Vineyard Avenue. At traffic light turn left. Continue west on Vineyard Avenue across Oxnard Boulevard to “H” Street (traffic light) and turn left. Continue on “H” Street for approximately 2 1/2 miles past 5th Street (the street name “H” Street will change to Hobson Way after the 5th Street intersection). The Performing Arts & Convention Center is located two blocks after 5th Street on the left-hand side of street. The facility is between 7th and 9th Streets. Parking is Free.
FROM PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY
Continue on Pacific Coast Highway 1 into the City of Oxnard (Highway will become Oxnard Boulevard). Turn left on Wooley Road and continue to “J” Street. Turn right on “J” Street and continue past the next intersection which is 9th Street (from that point on the street name “J” Street will change to Hobson Way). The Performing Arts & Convention Center is located at the corner of Hobson Way and 9th Street. Parking is Free.